This weekend will see the annual Santa Dash charity fundraiser through the villages of Saddleworth hosted by Saddleworth Round table.
Saddleworth Round Table has issued the following advice to ensure the event runs smoothly:
1. If you haven’t registered yet, please collect your suit and number from our new registration area inside the Museum from 10am. Please do not leave it until the last minute as the Museum is a good 5 minutes’ walk from the start line and we start at 2.30pm on the dot.
2. If you have already collected your suits and numbers, you are good to go, see you at the start line in the village square.
3. Leave your bags with us at our bag drop in the Museum from 10am. Please note you must collect your belongings by 4pm when the Museum closes.
4. Join us for the warm up with Anna’s Dance from 2pm on the main stage. It’s a bit of fun and it may just help to prevent cramp if you’ve not been running for a while!
5. Start time is 2.30pm sharp (both 2km and 5km routes) from the start line opposite the main stage in the village square.
6. Please be careful and alert to traffic at all times. Once the 5km route gets into Greenfield (after the Churchill Playing Fields section) the route follows public roads and footpaths which, unlike the High Street in Uppermill, will not be closed to traffic. Please keep to the pavements where possible.
7. Keep an eye on the weather forecast. The weather forecast looks to be improving however please wear suitable clothing and footwear for the conditions and note that some of the paths at the top of the 5km course may be muddy and slippery.
8. Pick a route now. Please familiarise yourself with your chosen route (see https://www.facebook.com/SaddleworthRT/ or maps at our registration area on the day). The courses are clearly signposted and there are marshals positioned at key points around the course. Remember the routes split just over the River Tame on Bridge Street with 5km dashers turning right over Churchill Playing Fields towards Greenfield and the 2km route heading left up Carr Lane towards the bridle path and the Sports Centre.
9. Arriving by car? Extra parking is available at Saddleworth School for Santa Dashers on the day.
10. Need help on the day? If you have any problems on the day please speak to one of our event marshals who will all be wearing Round Table Hi Viz jackets.
11. In the event of an emergency please use your common sense and dial 999. If it’s less serious please speak to one of our event marshals and we’ll arrange first aid from St John’s Ambulance or Oldham Mountain Rescue who will both be supporting us.
12. Once you’ve finished, please collect your finishers medal and join us in the Village Square for prize giving and the start of the Santa Parade (pulled by our very own Saddleworth Morris Reindeers). There’s the big lights switch on and fireworks display to follow, so don’t leave us too soon.
13. Collect your bags. Please don’t forget to collect your belongings from our bag drop at the Museum before 4pm when it will close.
14. Eat, drink and be merry! Please support our Christmas Markets, which we have extended this year to include a new area at the Museum car park. We have mulled wine, craft ale, and a great selection of street food on offer.
15. Please support our local businesses. Pick up some unique Christmas gifts from our new stall holders for 2018. Remember, a share of all profits from the Market Stalls will be donated to Saddleworth Round Table Charitable Trust for distribution in 2019 to local charities, good causes and community groups in the Oldham and Saddleworth areas.
14. Please grab a program (suggested donation £1) from one of our many outlets in advance of the event as it’s got lots of useful information and critically the words to all those Christmas Carols you can never remember (Carol singing in the Village Square with Santa from 4.30pm).
15. For last minute updates Keep posted to our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SaddleworthRT/. If you have any questions please raise them via our Facebook page.
Lastly have a great day, and we look forward to sharing a glass of mulled wine with you after the dash to cheer in the festive season!”