A UNIQUE award scheme which will recognise villagers who go the extra mile for neighbours or their community has been launched across Saddleworth.
The Above and Beyond Awards will celebrate men, women and children nominated by the village community, resident associations and groups.
And in a bid to encourage nominations villagers are being urged to contact their own community’s committee.
All ten village committees have backed the novel award scheme, which is the brainchild of Ken Bennett, the founder of the Saddleworth Independent.
Mr Bennett, a journalist for 60 years, said: “It’s really gratifying that all the villages have so enthusiastically agreed to back the Above and Beyond Awards.
“Saddleworth, like other areas, has wonderful, caring and kind locals who every day quietly do great things for their neighbours and the community.
“They work completely voluntarily and do not seek recognition. They simply take it upon themselves to selflessly go that little further to help.
“These awards will celebrate and praise these often totally unreported acts of kindness and devotion by encouraging each village committee to come up with its own winner.
“Community groups and associations themselves are the backbone of Saddleworth and these awards will underpin, enhance and promote their valiant work.
“Some village groups are already identifying potential award candidates and the awards themselves will be an appreciation of their thanks.”
He added: “There is no set criteria for nominations. The winner is entirely the choice of each community group’s committee.
There will be no supreme overall winner. The awards are for the people and will be chosen entirely by the people.”
The Above and Beyond Awards, part funded by the communities themselves, will be presented later this year at a special celebration meal.
Nominations must be received by your local group by Wednesday, August 31, 2016. Please contact:
- Delph Community Association: chair: Phillida Shipp: 01457 875171. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Denshaw Community Association: chair: Alan Roughley: 01457 870074. email@example.com
- Diggle Community Association: chair: Mark Brooks. DCAChairman@gmail.com
- Dobcross Village Community: chair: Pam Rose: 07779 274834. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greenfield and Grasscroft Residents Association: secretary: Marlene Bailey. 07834 720844. email@example.com
- Grotton Residents Association: chair: Alicia Marland. 0161 624 5636.
- Love Lydgate: chair Jennifer Greenwood: 01457 877935. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scouthead and Austerlands Community Group: chair: Joan Sykes. 07704 105472. facebook.com/groups/ScoutheadAusterlands/
- Springhead Community Association: chair: Barbara Beeley: 0161 652 0930. email@example.com
- Uppermill Community Association: Charlie Middlewood: 07779 239570. firstname.lastname@example.org
For general inquiries about the Above and Beyond Awards, contact Ken Bennett: call 07802 966922 or email: email@example.com