CHRISTMAS may generate plenty of good cheer but the presents plus extra food and drink also ensures plenty of potential for extra rubbish and waste.
So, it is worth making note of your festive bin collection dates.
Oldham Council has confirmed there will be no bin collections on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year’s Day.
So, bins due for collection on Wednesday, December 25 will be collected on Saturday, December 28, including green bins and food caddies.
Bins due on Thursday, December 26 will be collected on Saturday, December 21. Please do not put out your green bin and food caddy – they will be emptied as normal on Thursday, January 2.
Bins due on Wednesday, January 1, 2020 will be collected on Saturday, January 4 apart from green bins and food caddies which will be collected on Wednesday, January 8 as normal.
If your collection day doesn’t fall on any of the above dates then put your bins out as usual.
If you are unsure which bin would have been normally due for collection on the dates affected, check your collection calendar or use the online post code checker at www.oldham.gov.uk/waste
Households in affected areas will receive leaflets with information about the alternative arrangements. For more information contact 0161 770 6644.
After the festive period you can get rid of your Christmas tree in a number of ways.
You can put it in your green bin – just chop it into small pieces, remove the wooden block from the base as this is too big to be composted, and take off any lights and decorations.
Alternatively, take it to your local tip or to one of the following recycling ‘drop off’ points from December 28 until January 17:
- Higher Memorial Park (car park), Joseph Street, Failsworth (open dawn until dusk)
- Royton Park (car park) off Bleasdale Street, Royton. Anytime access
- Werneth Park (car park) off Frederick Street, Werneth (open dawn until dusk)
- Churchill Playing Fields (car park), Wellington Road, Greenfield. Anytime access.
All your Christmas cards, wrapping paper and cardboard packaging can be recycled using your blue bins or recycling bags.
If you have things that are too big to fit in your bin, you can:
- Take them to Arkwright Street Waste and Recycling Centre, Oldham, OL9 9LZ – for free. Or to find your nearest tip, visit www.recycle4greatermanchester.com
- Arrange for them to be collected by Bulky Bobs. To book a collection call 0161 770 6644.
Oldham Council will collect extra recycling over the Christmas period as long as it is neatly presented and clearly labelled as recycling.