THE success in identifying and then re-locating a piece of Saddleworth history prompted the Independent to search for other pieces of local antiquity.
And a stroll through St Chad’s gardens in Uppermill led to the discovery of an even more ancient stone.
Thanks to staff at the village library, situated in St Chad’s House, we have gleaned some intriguing details about the lintel tucked away out of general view.
But some unanswered questions remain including a main one of where did it originate from and what does the lettering mean?
It certainly wasn’t part of the original grade two listed building built in 1798.
However, celebrated Gothic architect George Shaw (1810-1876), who designed many local churches, including Christ Church, Friezland, lived at and largely rebuilt St Chad’s House.
In doing so he accumulated or created architectural antiquities many of which survive in the garden. Other lintels at St Chad’s refer to a former wood house and GS 1593.
Shaw’s work and reputation surfaced again earlier this century when he was credited (albeit by apparent nefarious means) with finding the Tudor marriage bed of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York.
Any reader who can shed light on Shaw’s stones can email editor Trevor Baxter at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Units 3-4, 45 High Street, Uppermill, Saddleworth, OL3 6HS.