Delph boxer Kremner sidelined by car crash

UNLUCKY BOXER Andy Kremner is facing another spell on the sidelines after being involved in a serious car crash.

Andy Kremner (right) with his coach Matthew Hatton

The 24-year-old from Delph, just back after recovering from a career-threatening shoulder injury, hurt his back and was concussed in the accident.

Andy, who only returned to the ring in May after an 18-month enforced lay off, has been forced to pull out of his next bout at Oldham Sports Centre later this month.

What began as a run of the mill trip to Nando’s in Oldham on a Saturday night ended in horror for Andy and his girlfriend Nicola Mellor.

Nicola’s Honda was written off after a black Audi crashed into them at speed on Huddersfield Road. The pair were admitted to Royal Oldham Hospital where they were detained overnight.

Nicola, 25, from Lees, sustained head and shoulder injuries while Andy was concussed and suffered deep tissue bruising to his back.

Andy said: “Luckily Nicola and I are in one piece because it could have been a lot worse.

“An off duty firefighter came to our aid and told us it was a good job we were going forward. If we had been stood at the traffic lights, I think we would have been killed.”

Andy said: “I am devastated as I only recently returned after 18 months out with a shoulder injury, and now this.

“Hopefully I will be back soon, but I won’t be ready by the end of the month.”

It was only days earlier that Andy was talking excitedly about the prospect of boxing in home-town Oldham for the first time in his career.

After winning his comeback fight, Andy was on the bill for the show at Oldham Sports Centre on Saturday, July 29.

It would have been the first time, as both an amateur or professional, that Andy would have boxed in his home town.

“I have a massive following in Saddlworth and this would have been ideal as it was on the doorstep,” he said.

After the win against Newark’s Fonz Alexander at Bolton Whites Hotel in May – his seventh win out of seven as a pro – Andy returned immediately to the gym.

He was working out three times a day running, boxing and weights. There was also swimming and weekend runs in the hills above Dovestone Reservoir.

His hope was to have two or three further fights this year and by the end of the year may be ready to challenge for a Central Area title in early 2018.

A spokesperson for GMP confirmed: “A man was arrested for dangerous driving and failing to stop. No one else is believed to be involved at this point.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *