Five fire engines tackle house fire in Uppermill

An elderly woman was taken to hospital after fire ripped through an Uppermill property on Tuesday, February 7.

IMG_2323
A fire engine at the scene

However, the unnamed occupant had left her house in Primrose Avenue to raise the alarm with neighbours.

No other homes in the area were damaged but at the height of the blaze emergency services cordoned off the quiet, residential street.

One neighbour told the Independent: “We could smell smoke and went into the kitchen and thought it was our own house.

“My wife opened the door to let out the smoke and you could see the fire.

“I went out to see if the lady was out and she was okay. Then the fire brigade turned up and do what they do.

“It was concerning for everyone because it was a major event and doesn’t happen very often. But once you know everyone is alright, that’s the most important thing.”

It is believed the blaze started in the kitchen. Five fire engines and crews from Oldham, Mossley, Blackley and Rochdale attended the blaze.

They were met with a severe fire involving a kitchen, first floor bedroom and the roof of a dorma bungalow.

A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and high-pressure lances and fans to tackle the fire.

“The majority of the fire was extinguished by 9.30pm and firefighters remained on the scene for a number of hours cutting away at the roof of the property to ensure any hotspots were extinguished.

“By 2.30am the incident had been scaled back and just one fire engine remained at the scene until the morning.

“One elderly woman who was out of the property before the arrival of the fire service, was treated by firefighters for smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check.”

Another neighbour said the pensioner alerted him to the fire.

“I realised something was wrong and ran round and opened the side door,” he explained.

“But I knew there wasn’t anything I could do. The main thing she was safe and all the neighbours tried to do what we could to help her.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

css.php