GREEN-FINGERED residents and businesses have been digging deep to make sure the community is blooming beautiful as always…
And the best of the bunch were picked out by impressed judges for the annual ‘Saddleworth in Bloom’ competition, run by Saddleworth Parish Council.
Chairman of the Council Cllr Nikki Kirkham, the Vice Chairman Cllr Rob Knotts and Clerk to the Council, Pamela Bailey travelled around the villages to inspect the bright and colourful gardens.
Cllr Kirkham said: “Every garden was absolutely fabulous. The effort that goes into them all is wonderful. It takes months to get them perfect, sometimes years.
“The standard of entries was very high and our decision on the winners was not easy.
“Thank you to everyone who took part and we hope to see an even bigger competition next year.”
The prize for best Small Garden went to Charina Dwayre for her garden with a “wow factor” while Medium Garden was presented to Bill Dean, which the judges nearly had to miss out due to road works.
Best Large Garden was won by David Haines for his pristine garden cared for to “perfection” while Maria Fenlon won Best Container Garden for her “amazing garden” in such a small space.
Outram Mews were winners of the Community Garden prize as they entered the competition for the first time ever in a project that has brought the neighbours even closer together.
And Best Blooming Pub was shared by The Royal George and The White Lion, Delph as both impressed with their poignant garden memorials for victims of the recent Manchester bomb attack.
Trophies and certificates were presented by Cllr Kirkham at a special event at the Civic Hall, Uppermill before guests enjoyed a buffet provided by The White Lion in Delph.
Saddleworth in Bloom Winners:
- Small Garden Charina Dwayre, Springhead
- Medium Garden Bill Dean, Dobcross
- Large Garden David Haines, Grasscroft
- Container Garden Maria Fenlon, Greenfield
- Community Garden Outram Mews, Uppermill
- Best Blooming Pub Joint winners – The Royal George,
- Greenfield and The White Lion, Delph
- Small Garden Celia Hamer, Grotton
- Medium Garden Tom Adamson, Grasscroft
- Dr. O’Daly, Uppermill
- Large Garden Glynis Bruce
- Container Garden Ann Smith, Dobcross
- Community Garden Valley Mews, Greenfield
- Best Blooming Pub The Old Original, Scouthead
- Community Garden Scouthead & Austerlands C. A.
- (Dawson’s Field)
- Woodhouse Knowl, Delph
- Best Blooming Pub The Three Crowns, Scouthead
- The Junction, Denshaw
- The Farrar’s Arms, Grasscroft
- The Old Bell, Delph
- The Swan, Dobcross
- The Roebuck, Scouthead