Kind-hearted villagers praised after helping injured man during hour-long roadside wait for ambulance

KIND-HEARTED villagers have been praised for rushing to the aid of an injured man who waited more than an hour for an ambulance on a traffic-thronged roadside in Greenfield.

Locals and police help Trevor Morgan on the roadside

Trevor Morgan, 81, from Diggle got into difficulties while walking on Chew Valley Road and locals, helped by PCSO Lee Lockwood, wrapped him in blankets until medical help arrived.

One of the first on the scene was trained first aider Stephen Wood, 48, who runs Diggle Chippy with his wife Rachel.

The father-of-two said: “I was driving past and saw the man partially lying on the ground.

“I rushed over because he was in tremendous pain and we made him comfortable and another lady and other locals stayed with him.”

Scott Dearden,49, landlord of the nearby Wellington pub, said: “It was a very cold evening and I brought two blankets to keep the injured man warm.

“He was very distressed and obviously in a lot of pain but everyone rallied round. It was a team effort.”

Later, as her husband was recovering at Royal Oldham Hospital after surgery on his shattered hip, his wife Jean said: “We have been very touched by the immense kindness and concern.

“We’d like to thank everyone who helped including PCSO Lockwood and others who were complete strangers. This really shows how caring Saddleworth people are.”

And North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) has apologised to Mr Morgan for the time it took for him to be taken to hospital.

A NWAS spokesperson said: “The Trust offers its sincere apologies to the patient for any distress caused as we understand waiting for an ambulance can be a very stressful time.

“We would also like to thank everyone who came to the assistance and supported the patient until the paramedics arrived.

“We received the initial call at 15:49 and the Rapid Response Vehicle with the Advanced Paramedic arrived on the scene at 16:44.

“The ambulance then arrived at 16:56 and left the scene with the patient for Royal Oldham Hospital at 17:16.

“The Trust always strives to send an ambulance as quickly as possible and as soon as they are available.

“Unfortunately, at the time of this incident the Trust was experiencing a significantly high demand for its services with 52 life-threatening, or potentially life-threatening, incidents in the Greater Manchester area alone.”

She added: “If the patient or his family would like to contact us with their concerns we would be happy to discuss this with them and we wish him a speedy recovery.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *