Karen Thompson, a multi-award winning Weight Watchers Leader, looks at how to get your engine revving.
Karen runs meetings at Saddleworth Rangers Rugby Club, Shaw Hall Bank Road, on Tuesdays at 6.30pm. To find out more call Karen on 07970 370336 or email KThompson@weight-watchers.co.uk
LOTS OF people skip breakfast when they’re trying to loose weight, but evidence gathered by scientists has proven a good meal first thing not only stops you grazing on highly calorific snacks during the day but gives you the energy to burn more calories – so it really can be the most important meal of the day.
If we skip breakfast, there’s no fuel to keep our engine revving and as the day progresses we are less active so we are not burning off those calories as effectively.
Invariably the biggest meal of the day is at tea time when we don’t move off the sofa. Evidence shows that apportioning your meals larger through the day and smaller in the evening makes for better distribution of calories, which means we burn them more efficiently.
There’s no rule that says you have to eat as soon as you get up, as long as it’s within a few hours of waking that’s fine.
There are lots of healthy options to choose from like porridge, eggs, bacon medallions, all of which will keep you feeling satisfied.
And if you’re time-poor one of my favourites is “Overnight Oats”. Simply put 30grms oats in a jar, top with 150mls 0 per cent natural yoghurt and berries, cover and leave in the fridge overnight – 6 Smart Points.
As a weekend treat why not try this All Day Breakfast Omelette (serves 4. 5 Smart Points per serve):
- Dice 1 rasher of raw back bacon, 200grms boiled new potatoes and 1 small onion.
- Slice 150grms mushrooms and dry fry 30grms black pudding then warm a 20cm non stick frying pan over a high heat and add the ingredients.
- Cook for 5 mins until softened then add 4 tbsps of freshly chopped parsley. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Meanwhile separate 6 eggs and whisk the whites until stiff, then fold in the egg yolks and season.
- Pour a quarter of the egg mix into the pan, cook for 2/3 mins, then spoon a quarter of the bacon mix on 1 half, flip the omelette over to enclose then slide onto a serving plate. Repeat 4 times.
- Delicious served with grilled tomatoes.