Karen Thompson, a multi-award winning Weight Watchers Leader, looks at loving food and loving yourself.
Karen runs meetings at Saddleworth Rangers Rugby Club, Shaw Hall Bank Road, on Tuesdays at 6.30pm. To find out more call Karen on 07970 370336 or email KThompson@weight-watchers.co.uk
EATING A healthy, well-balanced diet means no single food or nutrient is good or bad – it’s all about the right balance.
Eating well should be fun and energizing so that healthy and delicious food choices become second nature. Extreme diets lead to a feeling of deprivation which leads to binge eating.
A healthy lifestyle is more than just eating and being active – it’s also about taking care of yourself. Happy people make healthier choices and the way you feel has a huge impact on your choices of what, when and how much you eat. So, making a little ‘me time’ for yourself can affect your motivation.
Food is one of life’s great joys. It nourishes us and keeps us strong so at Weight Watchers we don’t believe in going hungry but that eating healthier makes life better and it tastes amazing.
One of my all-time favourite recipes below takes just a few minutes to prepare and 15 mins to cook.
CRAB, CHILLI & TOMATO LINGUINE (serves 4 – 8 Smart Points per serve)
- Put 250g dry linguine into a large pan of salted boiling water. Bring back to the boil for 6-7 mins. Drain (reserving a little of the liquid).
- Meanwhile, mist a large pan with cooking spray, add 1 crushed garlic clove and 1 green or red chilli finely chopped (with or without the seeds depending on how hot you like it) and cook over a medium heat for 1-2 mins.
- Add 335gms of cherry tomatoes halved and cook for another 3-4 mins until they begin to break down.
- Gently stir in a 340g tin of white crab meat (drained), juice of 1 lemon and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add a couple of tbsps of the reserved liquid then add the cooked linguine, tossing together until well combined.
- Divide into warmed bowls and serve garnished with lemon zest and fresh parsley.