Karen Thompson, a multi-award winning Weight Watchers Leader, offers some tips on savvy summer eating.
Karen runs meetings at Saddleworth Rangers Rugby Club, Shaw Hall Bank Road, on Tuesdays at 6.30pm. To find out more call Karen on 07970 370336 or email KThompson@weight-watchers.co.uk
SCHOOL HOLIDAYS are in full swing now and in the summer months my members tell me this can sometimes be a challenging time to their weight loss efforts.
Social occasions such as BBQs, picnics, parties and weddings can really create that “life get’s in the way” feeling and whether you’re trying to lose weight or just lead a healthy lifestyle it’s important to find the right balance between control and flexibility.
If you could describe your perfect summer I bet you’d be slim and healthy – so keep that in mind but don’t be afraid to enjoy yourself.
It’s OK to over indulge occasionally and you can always counteract it with some exercise like a long walk.
Try to make wise choices, like filling your plate with healthier options such as lean grilled meats, salads and vegetables.
If you’re cutting back on alcohol you can mix up your own ‘saintly mojito’ by mixing 25mls white rum with chopped lime and fresh mint, topped up with diet lemonade and plenty of ice (2 pro points).
Meantime, try this MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD as a delicious hot or cold accompaniment to a grilled steak or chicken breast
MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD
(serves 4 people. 0 pro points)
- Dry fry half tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground coriander, half tsp ground cumin and half tsp ground cinnamon in a medium lidded pan for a minute or so.
- Add 250mls vegetable stock and 400grms sliced carrots, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins until tender.
- Heat a frying pan and mist with cooking spray, add 1 sliced red onion, 1 small finely chopped green chilli and 2 chopped garlic cloves.
- Stir-fry gently for around 8 mins until softened, adding a little water if necessary.
- Add carrots and any remaining liquid, stir through and serve.